How to Make a Creamy Smoothie
A creamy smoothie is super-filling and provides long lasting slow release energy. Learn how to make a creamy smoothie without dairy products so that it is low in calories and suppresses your appetite.
There are several non-dairy options that will give your smoothies a creamy texture. Avocado smoothie blends are popular, but you can also try jelly coconut flesh, organic coconut milk or tofu.
Nuts and seeds give creamy smoothies a nutty flavour that is also high in protein. When blending nuts you usually have to sieve the pulp out of the milk, but I find this isn't necessary if you use softer nuts. Make smoothies with soft nuts to save yourself time.
Cashew nuts make a satisfyingly creamy base and you can leave the pulp in too. Use raw organic cashew nuts if you can. Sesame seeds also make a filling smoothie that easily substitutes for a meal.
Another possibility is using chia seeds, a superfood that is very high in calcium. Chia seeds need to be soaked a few hours and swell up into a jelly-like consistency that bulks out smoothies and is very filling.
Creamy smoothie recipe
Makes approximately 1 litre (2-3 large glasses)
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- agave nectar (optional sweetener)
- 250ml water
- Place the cashews and water into your blender and blend for 30 seconds or until thoroughly combined.
- Add avocado and bananas. Blend for another 30 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and drink straight away. Try to drink at least 2 glasses.
- If you add a tablespoon of raw cacao powder to this smoothie it tastes and feels like a chocolate thickshake, but is a whole lot healthier.
Back to Green Smoothie Health from How to Make a Creamy Smoothie
Back to Healthy Eating Guide home from How to Make a Creamy Smoothie