How to Make a Body Detox Smoothie
Check out the purple glow of this super body detox smoothie – just the colour is enough to purify your system! This smoothie is a miracle antidote for over indulgence – erase your guilt the day after feasting or boozing by treating your system to this super cleansing combination of beetroot and watermelon. Read on for instructions on how to detox your body with the Purple Purifier...
Watermelons are easily digested and great for cleaning out your system, especially your kidneys. It acts as a diuretic, which means that it increases urine flow. Watermelons have a high water content which rehydrates at the same time as flushing your system. Watermelon is mildly laxative.
Fresh beet juice is a powerful blood cleanser and tonic. It increases cellular uptake of oxygen and is useful to the digestive system and the liver. The cleansing power of beetroot is higher when eaten raw. Beetroot is used to increase immunity, treat anaemia and for its anticarcinogenic properties.
The first time I made this body detox recipe was the day after we’d overindulged in a huge dish of cheesy nachos. By the time I’d finished half a litre of this Purple Purifier I felt angelic again, and my body was feeling pristine.
Don’t be too overwhelmed by the fact that there’s a whole beetroot in this smoothie. Fresh beetroot is actually sweet and combined with watermelon gives a pleasant flavour that is quite manageable the morning after. Just wear your sunnies if you’re going to look at it while you drink it.
Purple Purifier body detox smoothie recipe
Makes approximately 1 ½ litres (4-5 large glasses)
- 1 beet
- 3-4 cupfuls of watermelon (about a quarter of a whole melon)
- 250ml water
- 2 very ripe bananas (optional, just to sweeten it up even more)
- Peel and chop the beet, large chunks is ok, let your blender do the work.
- Place the beet chunks and water into your blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Add watermelon (and bananas) to your blender mix and blend for a further 30 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and drink straight away. Try to drink at least 2 glasses. When you feel hungry again finish off your smoothie before eating.
- Use home-grown beetroot – it’s easy to grow and you can harvest the leaves as a smoothie or salad ingredient along the way.
- Include the watermelon seeds in your blend. They’re extremely nutritious, containing zinc and selenium, and are also useful for detoxification.
- Add this to your list of detox diet recipes. Detox smoothies like the Purple Purifier can add some fun to detoxing over a longer period.
Back to Green Smoothie Health from How to Make a Body Detox Smoothie
Back to Healthy Eating Guide home from How to Make a Body Detox Smoothie