Ginger Tea Benefits Digestion – A simple ginger tea recipe
Ginger tea benefits the digestive system by increasing activity of lipase and other digestive enzymes. Learn how to make ginger tea using this simple ginger tea recipe.
Various oils in ginger root tea aid digestion, reduce flatulence and protect the lining of the stomach. Ginger’s hot and spicy flavour comes from compounds called gingerols which stimulate bile flow Ginger can be used to treat colic and dyspepsia and contains a helpful protein-digesting enzyme called zingibain. Ginger also has anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea and antioxidant properties.
Ginger tea recipe
- 1-2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups water
- Herbal tea leaves (chamomile and peppermint combine well with ginger)
- Put the ginger and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add herbal tea (if desired).
- Cover with a lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Sweeten with honey (if desired.)
- Strain and drink.
- You can drink ginger tea cold or combine it with juice or smoothies.
- Leave the lid on whilst brewing helps to retain ginger’s essential oils.
- A convenient alternative to ginger tea is a herbal remedy such as DigestAssist from Native Remedies (aff.). This remedy for acute and chronic digestive problems contains ginger and fennel, peppermint and stomach bush (a native remedy from the indigenous people of South Africa.)
- You can drink this tea daily to gain the health benefits of ginger root or simply to enjoy the spiciness of ginger.
- It is possible to have an allergic reaction to ginger, so increase your servings or dosages gradually.
- Use only in low doses during pregnancy and check with your medical practitioner before using ginger.
- If you are taking anti-coagulant (anti-clotting) medications, do not take ginger without your doctor’s permission.
Ginger root health benefits
Find out more about the
benefits of ginger root.
Articles Related to Food Digestion
Beckham, Nancy. (1998) Nature’s Super Foods: Top 40 Medicinal Foods, Herbs and Supplements.
Back to Food Digestion Tips from Ginger Tea Benefits Digestion – A simple ginger tea recipe
Back to Healthy Eating Guide home from Ginger Tea Benefits Digestion – A simple ginger tea recipe